So, how did this Weblog come into being? Well...
In about one month, this blog will be furiously buzzing with activity over the arrival of some new additions to my family--I am adopting a couple girls (approximately twenty thousand girls, to be more specific) to live with me on my small farm in California. That's right, this weblog is about beekeeping, and bees in general!
This blog came into being as my way of keeping a record for myself so that, one) I have a place to reflect on their natural progression, and, two) to contribute to the growing beekeeping community. We'll wander through bits and pieces of all sorts of information, and hopefully, it'll be both fun and interesting for you and me.
Today's topic is the flower my bees will be focusing on--the Starthistle. Starthistle is, generally speaking, a very hardy weed that grows extremely pokey spines just below the flower for protection.
This blog came into being as my way of keeping a record for myself so that, one) I have a place to reflect on their natural progression, and, two) to contribute to the growing beekeeping community. We'll wander through bits and pieces of all sorts of information, and hopefully, it'll be both fun and interesting for you and me.
Today's topic is the flower my bees will be focusing on--the Starthistle. Starthistle is, generally speaking, a very hardy weed that grows extremely pokey spines just below the flower for protection.
| A worker bee exploring the Starthistle flower |
Unfortunately, all these things add up to a very robust, very invasive species--as of the last estimate that I found, it's suggested that there are about fifteen million acres of Starthistle in the western states, which is about the size of West Virginia.
That's a lot of area to be left to the weeds.
Fortunately, though, the starthistle isn't a worthless plant, and in fact, lots of wildlife really, really benefit from its continued existence, namely, bees! The consensus from beekeepers is that Starthistle is an excellent source of nectar--both for its extended flow (period of time that the bees can visit the flower to collect nectar) and for its rather robust and fertile growing tendencies. It's not uncommon to see expansive fields of starthistle simply humming with bees.
| Food for Thought |
What's more is the starthistle honey is, in fact, considered a superior honey to plain clover honey; it is thick and flavorful, but has no lingering aftertaste.
Like the old fairytale, bees are spinning weeds into gold; taking a thorny situation and making it something much, much more.
I chose to blog about starthistle first because it represents an ideology I hope to bring up again and again in my blog, and that is the importance of staying positive about life. The title of the blog, Mellifera Plus, is an extension of this goal. That, and, as you may have noticed through reading this post... I really like playing with words.
Well, I think that's enough for today. Until next time,
Hasta pasta!
The Purple Shirt Guy
:)
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome and thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.